No Picture

Anxiety as Mexico mounts last-ditch search for quake survivors

September 23, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Sat, 2017-09-23 10:28
ID: 
1506154071155964700

MEXICO CITY: Mexican rescuers were working through the early hours Saturday in a desperate search for survivors of an earthquake that killed nearly 300 people, hoping to defy experts who say the chances of finding life in the rubble after 72 hours are bleak.
With exhausted emergency workers still reporting signs of life at several spots in Mexico City, the head of the national disaster management agency, Luis Felipe Puente, warned the coming hours would be critical.
“Tonight will be tough, because a lot of time has passed (since Tuesday’s quake). But we won’t give up,” he said.
“Time has gotten the best of us. There are structures that are very complicated to access. But we’re going to keep fighting for the families” of those feared trapped inside, he told TV network Televisa.
He said the authorities would not bring in the bulldozers to start clean-up until they were certain no survivors or even bodies remained.
The 72-hour-mark expired at 1:14 p.m. (1814 GMT) Friday.
Three days is the limit that experts say people trapped in rubble without water, often with crushed limbs, can hold on.
Families clung to hope as they watched rescue teams painstakingly work through the jumbled wreckage.
But psychologists dispatched to the scene were already preparing to help relatives deal with tragic news.
“The families are still hopeful, but we psychologists are starting to prepare ourselves to counsel them in the context of mourning,” said Penelope Exzacarias, who was on standby at a collapsed office building in Mexico City’s trendy Roma neighborhood.
Some 70 people were at work in the building when the 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck. Only 28 have made it out alive so far — all in the first hours.
But Mexicans remember “miracle” rescues a week after a 1985 quake that killed more than 10,000 people in the capital.
The government’s open-ended extension on rescue efforts posed a dilemma for emergency workers in the ruins of a clothing factory, just one of nearly 40 collapsed buildings in the capital.
“There are no indications of anyone inside but they’re not sure enough to affirm there’s really no one. The camera used doesn’t allow a full view,” explained Daniel Quiroz, a 22-year-old volunteer.
So far, 115 people have been pulled alive from the rubble, according to the military.
In all likelihood, the death toll will rise above the latest figure of 295.
Mexico City recorded the highest number of fatalities: 157, with more bodies certain to be found.
The rest of the deaths occurred in the states of Morelos, Mexico, Puebla, Guerrero and Oaxaca.
The toll includes eight foreigners: four Taiwanese, a Korean, a Spaniard, a Panamanian and an Argentine, authorities said.
Several countries, including the United States, Israel, Panama and EU states have sent crews to help the rescue effort.
A Japanese team was using a hi-tech scanner on the toppled building in the Roma district.
Jose Gutierrez, father of one of those trapped, and also a civil engineer, warned that “the structure is at risk of total collapse.”
Overnight rain caused saturated debris to become heavier and shift, he said.
In the south of Mexico City, at a flattened school where 19 children died, white wreaths lay out, testimony to the mourning of relatives and neighbors.
Families were starting to hold funerals. One of the first was that of Gabriel Morales and Agueda Mendoza, a married couple found locked in embrace under the rubble along with their dog Quino.
“I remember them as such a united, loving couple,” said Juan Carlos Williams, their nephew.
Charity group Save the Children said 100,000 children in Mexico City were affected by the quake, with hundreds of them left to sleep in the streets and parks despite around 50 shelters being opened.
Many adults wondered where they and their families would live after the quake damaged more than 2,000 homes — most of which were uninsured.
“I’m waiting for the civil protection service to tell me if we can go home,” said street vendor Erika Albarran, who has been staying with her family in a shelter.
Her family has only 100 pesos ($5.50) and she doesn’t know how they will manage once assistance such as food, shelter and baby supplies runs out.
“We’re living day to day,” she said.
Tuesday’s tragedy struck on the anniversary of the 1985 quake, just two hours after the country held an annual earthquake drill.
“The city isn’t prepared for a disaster like this, but I think the people are ready to react, they remember 1985 and obviously reacted in time,” Mexican actor Diego Luna told AFP at an emergency supply center.
He and fellow Hollywood heartthrob Gael Garcia Bernal, also Mexican, have launched a fund-raising drive to help the recovery effort.

Main category: 

The post Anxiety as Mexico mounts last-ditch search for quake survivors appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Strong 6.2 magnitude quake shakes central Mexico: quake monitors

September 23, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Sat, 2017-09-23 16:30
ID: 
1506174165117343000

MEXICO CITY: A strong 6.2 magnitude earthquake shook central Mexico on Saturday days after a powerful quake that killed nearly 300 people, Mexican and US seismological monitors said.
The quake struck at 12:53 GMT with an epicenter 19.3 kilometers (12 miles) southeast of the city of Matias Romero, in the state of Oaxaca, the US Geological Survey reported. Mexican quake monitors gave the same figure.
In Mexico City work crews temporarily halted rescue operations, while the country’s Civil Protection service said there were no reports that the new quake — an apparent aftershock of Tuesday’s powerful 7.1 tremor — had affected the capital.

Main category: 

The post Strong 6.2 magnitude quake shakes central Mexico: quake monitors appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Rocket ICO Soft Cap Reached

September 23, 2017 BitNewz.net 0

rocketicoSeptember 22, 2017, Minsk, Belarus. TheRocket ICO team is glad to announce that it has reached its soft cap of 500 ETH and continue to raise funds. 526 ETH were collected during the pre-ICO stage, which will last for another 3 days. During the pre-ICO stage, a limited portion of tokens (1 mln) can be purchased with a 30% discount. The main ICO is scheduled for October 10, 2017 – November 10, 2017. During the ICO, 1 ETH will give an investor 300 ROCK tokens, but right now, investors can get 390 ROCKs per 1 ETH. The offer expires in 5 days.

The post Rocket ICO Soft Cap Reached appeared first on bitcoinmining.shop.

The post Rocket ICO Soft Cap Reached appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Over 68% of All Ethereum Transaction Value Is “Mixed” by One Entity

September 23, 2017 BitNewz.net 0

TheMerkle Ethereum Mixing EntityThe Ethereum ecosystem processes thousands of transactions every single hour. One would not necessarily think most of these transactions are “handled” by one centralized entity. New research by cyber•Fund reveals a very different reality, though. According to their findings, 65% of all ETH transactions are seemingly generated by temporary addresses, all of which seemingly belong to the same entity. Centralized Control of the Ethereum Ecosystem? It sounds pretty strange that so many Ethereum transactions would be generated by temporary addresses. While this might be considered a good thing, its repercussions could also be disastrous for all we know. The findings by cyber•Fund paint a very interesting picture,

The post Over 68% of All Ethereum Transaction Value Is “Mixed” by One Entity appeared first on bitcoinmining.shop.

The post Over 68% of All Ethereum Transaction Value Is “Mixed” by One Entity appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Border restrictions hinder Gaza boy from setting world record

September 23, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Youssef Al-Bahtini wants to leave the Gaza Strip so that he can enter the Guinness Book of World Records as a contortionist, but the closure of the borders of the enclave by Egypt and Israel looks set to prevent his record attempt from taking place. Two months ago, the talented 12-year-old received approval from the Guinness team to try for the record in Amman, Jordan. “We received approval two months ago for my brother Youssef to participate in the Guinness World Records competition in Jordan,” said Mohammad Al-Bahtini, 21. “Since then, we have been trying to leave Gaza, but the crossings are closed, into Egypt and into Israel.” The administrators of the Guinness World Records are aware of the difficulties […]

The post Border restrictions hinder Gaza boy from setting world record appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Palestinian prisoners’ group hails Amnesty report on administrative detention

September 23, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

The Director of the Palestine Prisoners’ Centre for Studies has hailed an Amnesty International report which condemns Israel’s use of administrative detention, Quds Press reported on Friday. Riyadh Al-Ashqar described this as a “positive step” but said that it is not enough. He called for Amnesty to put more pressure on the Israeli occupation authorities to stop this kind of “arbitrary” and “oppressive” imprisonment. In the report issued on Tuesday, Amnesty condemned Israel’s use of administrative detention against Palestinian rights activists. It cited the detention of Salah Hammouri, a field researcher for the Palestinian human rights NGO Addameer. “The arbitrary detention of Salah Hammouri is yet another shameful example of the Israeli authorities’ abusive use of administrative detention to detain […]

The post Palestinian prisoners’ group hails Amnesty report on administrative detention appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

‘Sudan will not accept people queuing like beggars for Western aid’

September 23, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

The President of Sudan said on Friday that his country would not accept assistance from the West for those displaced in camps in Darfur, Anadolu has reported. President Omar Al-Bashir made his comment during a public speech in Shataya, South Darfur, which was aired on national television. “We do not need relief from abroad, and we have been working to establish development projects as well as providing services to the displaced,” he explained, adding: The displaced are standing in lines just like beggars to get help from foreigners. We will not accept that our people queue to receive aid. Al-Bashir insisted that the Sudanese are supposed to help other people. “We do not need the foreigners’ help. We will never […]

The post ‘Sudan will not accept people queuing like beggars for Western aid’ appeared first on aroundworld24.com.